Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Don't Wait!!

I had my appointment for my baseline ultrasound today.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  I can't begin to express how pissed off I am.  After our initial consult with the doctor, she gave us a lot of information.  What I took away from it was, when my next period starts I need to call to set up the HSG and we will move forward with the next stage of treatment, starting with the baseline ultrasound and the medications.

Apparently that's not what needed to happen.  I should have called like two weeks ago to schedule the class I have to take to teach me about the medication and how to administer it.  At that class is where they submit the prescription for the medication to insurance and the medication gets mailed to my house (since it's a specialty medication).

All of this takes 1-2 weeks.  You're supposed to start the medication on day 7 of your cycle.  So clearly, by going today it won't be ready in time for me.  In other words, I will be taking no medication this month.  This month is a total wash.  There are so many things I wish were different about this situation.  I wish I had asked more clearly what our next steps were, exactly.  I wish she had made it more clear how long this process takes.  I wish when I had scheduled my appointment they looked to see if I even had a prescription submitted!

 The worst part about all of this is I didn't even find out any of this until I'm sitting in the exam room, half undressed with that stupid paper "blanket".  The nurse comes in and starts asking some questions and basically realizes that I don't have a prescription submitted.  So because I can't do the medication cycle, the baseline ultrasound is useless.  And of course I got emotional.  I just wish I didn't cry so easily.  It's not like I was crying in a sad kind of way.  I just cry when I get emotional.

So the lesson to be learned, please don't wait.  If you are starting any type of medication or moving up the ladder in terms of treatments, call and find out exactly when things need to happen!

That's all I have to say about that.-Forrest Gump

....what he didn't say was I'm too pissed to talk about it any more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Katie, The things we do not know or assume or that people think we already know can fill baskets and closets and houses.
    It is so nice that you share these things knowing they can and will help others.
    Life is never a wash, just a lot of learning steps.
    Now you know and so do others.
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete