Sunday, July 1, 2012

A fly on the wall

So we have started the shots...(I feel like I need dramatic music here).  Today is day 9 of my cycle and the third day of shots.  I feel like every time we start something new in this process it's a pain to figure out.  It was a pain to figure out all of the insurance.  It was a pain to figure out the timing of when to come to the doctor and what to do for that.  Now it's been a pain trying to figure out how to schedule the initial doctor's appointment for the cycle.

With the round of medication we are doing, once my period starts I have to get a baseline ultrasound done on days 1, 2, or 3.  Well of course my period started on Friday at like 4:30, too late to go to the doctor.  The office said if that happens, count Saturday as day 1 and then come in on Monday for the ultrasound.  This would normally be fine, however I was out on Friday for a training and felt really uncomfortable taking Monday morning off too (since it's the last week of school).  Also I didn't have my plan book at home and had no idea what to even put in sub plans.  It was like the perfect storm of bad timing.

So I scheduled a half day for the afternoon and left a message at the doctor for them to call me back Monday morning.  I talked to them Monday morning and apparently they ONLY do ultrasounds Mon-Fri in the mornings.  They said they don't do them in the afternoon and I would have to come back on Tuesday morning.  I started getting pissed at this point because I had already booked a sub for that afternoon, couldn't cancel, and didn't want to be out for ANOTHER half day during the last week of school.  After a long conversation the nurse finally said that the doctor could authorize an exception and I left a voicemail for the doctor.  Fortunately she let me come in that afternoon.  The silliest part in all of this was that the actual ultrasound took ~8 minutes.  Oh well...now I know and from now on I can just get the ultrasounds done before school at like 7:30 and not have to take any time off.

Everything was normal at the ultrasound.  My uterus was nice and thin and the ovaries were resting (which always makes me think of Joel when he cooks steak or something and it needs to rest...).  So I took the Letrozole, which was just a couple little pills, for days 3-7.  Then on day 7 we started the shots.

That first time was pretty ridiculous.  My friend Karen said she would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to watch.  I think the conversation went something like this:

Joel:  Ok, are you ready?
Me:  Yes...(needle comes close, how I knew I have no idea since I wasn't looking)  Wait!  Hang on, ok I'm ready.
Joel: Ready?
Me:  Yes....wait!  Ok, go.

I think that happened a few times before he finally just did it.  And of course it wasn't that bad, just a little prick.  Although I think I asked him 4 times if he did it right...

The worst part was last night.  We had a wedding to attend.  I'm supposed to have the shot between 6-8pm and at approximately the same time each night.  Well the first night I got the shot at 7:45pm.  So we were trying to figure out how to give me the shot at the same time while we're at the wedding.  We couldn't really both go in to the bathroom.  We talked about just going out to the car.  But of course I was wearing a dress.  I had these visions of us in the car in the parking lot with my dress hiked up (the shot goes in the stomach) while Joel is injecting me with something as strangers walk by.  We ended up just doing the shot before we left.  It wasn't exactly in the right time frame but hopefully it's fine.


So now I just have one more shot tonight and then I go back tomorrow for another ultrasound and blood work.  They'll call me tomorrow with directions on what to do from there.  If everything looks ok, then I start the Antagon for a few days and then the Ovidrel.  So we'll see!

1 comment:

  1. you are cracking us both up, as I read this to Mark.
    My love to you both, we are thinking of you and hope that after the kiln fires next weekend to get some free time.
    The MIL

    ReplyDelete