Sunday, July 8, 2012

Playing the waiting game...AGAIN

I've decided I need to rename this blog, "The Process of WAITING".  It seems like all I'm ever doing throughout this whole thing is waiting.  I wait for blood work, I wait for my period, I wait for results.  Wait, wait, wait.  (I also feel like I've discussed this before....but I'm too lazy right now to go back and look)

Well, right now we're waiting to test.  We just finished up our first month of super duper medicines (ya know, as opposed to just the regular medicines).  The first few days were just the oral tablets of Letrozole (Femara).  Then after that it was the three days of Gonal-F with the shots.

On day 10 I went in for my 10 day ultrasound.  Everything looked really good on the ultrasound.  My right ovary had one mature follicle and two that were almost there, but would be ready in time for ovulation.  She also said I had one mature follicle in the left ovary.  Apparently that's a lot.  The nurse kept saying, "Please be empty, please be empty" when she started to look at the left one.  So basically with multiple follicles it puts me at risk for multiples.  She said because of the Letrozole, that really decreases the chances of triplets or quads, but she said, "I can't say you wouldn't have two".  This is, of course, if everything goes well and something actually gets fertilized, etc.  But it was still kind of exciting to hear.

Joel and I have talked about it and we're fine with having multiples.  I mean I know it's more difficult (and I'm  not professing to know exactly how hard it is).  But I have a hard time thinking that anyone who has issues with fertility would say, "No, we're not really ok with that.  Let's spend more money to do it again."  But who knows, there are all kinds of circumstances out there.

It was hard to leave there not being excited.  She sounded really positive and the most interesting part is she told me to skip the Antagon (Ganirelix) completely!  We went straight to the Ovidrel that night (which is the shot that forces me to ovulate).  Then 36 hours after the shot is when the "timed intercourse" comes in to play.  It was funny that that ended up being the morning of 4th of July (which worked out well since we both had the day off and didn't have to worry about taking time off of work to...well, basically come home and have sex).  We joked about the possibility of conceiving on the 4th of July and picked out some appropriate names:  Betsy for a girl (you know, as in Betsy Ross) and Jefferson or Sam (as in Uncle Sam) for a boy.

Now I know this is all getting ahead of ourselves.  There is still a lot to happen that could not work and we know that.  But as always it's so hard not to get excited.  This is where the waiting comes in.  I can take a pregnancy test on Wednesday, July 18.  Fortunately the new school year starts tomorrow so I'll have a lot to take my mind off of it...

...10 days left...

...sometimes anyway.


4 comments:

  1. the waiting really is the hardest part of anything.
    Samuel Jackson ...sounds familiar..
    Glad to know your 4th had plenty of fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading some good news soon! You don't know me (I am friends with one of your co-workers) but you have inspired me to write a blog about our journey of TTC. :) PRAYERS FOR Y'ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're inspired to write about your journey! I wish you guys the best!! Which coworker do you know?

    ReplyDelete